Workshop on Growing Orchids
The Orchid Society of Karnataka is organising a workshop on growing of orchids on 9 November, 2013. The workshop is in line with the objectives of the Society of popularising growing of orchids and at the same time spread the message of conservation of orchids. Growing of orchids though not difficult, but the key to success lie in understanding their specific requirements and providing the same. This programme is designed to introduce orchids to a common grower or hobbyist and highlight the finer requirements for successful orchid growing.
Workshop Date: 9 November 2013. (Last date for Registration: 5 November, 2013)
Venue: Smriti Nandan Cultural Center (Nandadeep, 15/3, Palace Road, Bangalore – 52) (click here for the directions)
Time: 2.30 PM to 5.00 PM with a coffee break at 3.30 PM
Please note : As there is very limited parking space available at the venue, it is suggested to make use of the public transport/auto etc. Kindly plan accordingly.
Registration: Registrations are closed now For any clarifications you may email Mr.Ravee Bhat (email: email@example.com) Alternately TOSKAR officials can be reached on below numbers: President – 94483 51170, Secretary – 98860 00161 and Vice president – 99451 80018)
Registration Fee: Rs.500 (Rs.300 for Life members of TOSKAR) – Payments can be done through cheques/DD in the name of “The Orchid Society of Karnataka” payable in Bangalore. Also by cash payment at the venue.
Alternatively through bank transfer. A/c details as below,
Canara Bank – Bangalore, Lalbagh West
A/c number: 0684 1010 29386
IFSC Code: CNRB0000684
Limited number of participants and First come first serve basis– Send in your registrations before the last date.
Schedule of Programme :-
+ Registration of participants
+ Welcoming the participants: by President Dr. K. S. Shashidhar
+ Brief Introduction about TOSKAR: by Secretary Mr.S.G.Ramkumar
+ Interaction with the participants
+ Feedback from the participants
+ Closing remarks by: Vice President Mrs. Nalini
Contents of the workshop
- Introduction to Orchids: What is an orchid? Orchid plant, how it is different from other flowering plant, Importance of orchids – Aesthetic and Environmental Different types – Epiphytes, Terrestrials.Growth types – Monopodials and Sympodials. Importance of Orchids flower, colour, shape, mimicry, scent etc.
- Culture of orchids: Selection of an ideal plant, Plants suiting to your conditions, Genera and its alliance which does well in Bangalore conditions
- Selection of pots, clay/earthern, slabs for mounting
- Potting media, different types of media, advantages & disadvantages. Use of locally available materials and others
- Potting procedure: Potting profile, actual potting of epiphytes and terrestrials, staking the plant, Labelling. Repotting – when and why. Mounting of orchids.
- Light requirement in general – places where it can be kept
- Temperature requirement of orchids in general
- Water – when to and how much to water, problems of over watering. Humidity.
- Aeration – why it is required
- Nutrition – what to provide, when to provide and how much
- Pests and Diseases – Common pests & diseases. Control measures
All participants will be provided with a starter kit.
Resource Persons: Dr.K.S.Shashidhar, Dr.S.N.Hegde, Mr.Ramkumar and Mr. Suresh kalyanpur Mr.Ravee Bhat and Mr.Srikanth
Registrations are Closed Now!!